
St Saviour’s
St Saviour’s Church - Templeton
50 Kirk Road, Templeton, Christchurch 8042
St Saviour's is a historic church building located on Kirk Road in Templeton, beside Templeton Primary School. We are a small friendly church and we look forward to welcoming you.
The main church space is heated, has cushioned wooden pews and capacity for additional seating to be added. There is a small hall next to the church with kitchen and toilet facilities.
There is lots of parking on-site and along the road. Both the church and hall buildings have ramp access and space to park nearby for anyone with mobility concerns.
Plots are available in the cemetery.
History
-
A petition for a school at Templeton was placed before the Provincial Council in 1863 and land for this school was given by Mr E M Templar. Templeton School was opened in 1864 and church services were held regularly in this building. in 1862 the Rev. James Wilson was appointed assistant curate in the Parish of Upper Heathcote and on 20th June 1864 , he became "vicar" of the Cure of Prebbleton and Templeton in the Parish of Upper Heathcote.
There seems to have been considerable local agitation for the erection of a church in Templeton. On 28th June, 1867, Mr Mr E M Templar gave land on the "Waimakariri snd Prebbleton Road" as a site for a church, and by the 3rd November, 1867, the first stage was completed. The construction of the church is credited to Mr Mathias from a design by Messers Speechly and Crisp - Mr Speechly being the Superintending Architect of the Christchurch Cathedral. St Saviour's Church and its graveyard were consecrated on 17th December, 1868. -
Later in 1874 a spire, transept and chancel were added. Services were held in the school during this construction work. In 1881 stained glass windows were imported from Melbourne and installed at the east-end of the church.
The appearance of St Saviour's changed again in 1951 when its spire was removed. A wooden frame to hold the bell instead was erected, but it always looked out of place. One Sunday morning in 1966 the bell fell down and the framework was removed in preparation for having the church 'rough cast'. At this time the asbestos slates which had been on the roof since about 1906 were replaced, and the leaded windows in the transepts replaced with cathedral glass. -
In 1956 Hornby was established as a seperate Cure and Prebbleton joined to Halswell; Templeton becoming a part of the Hornby Parish, severing the historically close ties with Prebbleton.
-
St Saviour's Church celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2018.